In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger’s frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants, potentially resulting in serious injury or death.
Mazda North American Operations (Mazda) is recalling certain 2004-2006 Mazda B-series trucks. Upon deployment of the passenger side frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.
Mazda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the passenger side frontal air bag inflator with an alternate inflator, free of charge. The recall began on January 17, 2018. Owners may contact Mazda customer service at 1-800-222-5500. Mazda’s number for this recall is 1817L. Note: This recall supersedes recall 15V-346. Vehicles that received a replacement air bag inflator under the previous campaign need to return to a dealer to have an alternate inflator installed.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
January 19, 2018
Attention: Mazda Service and Parts Managers
Subject: Announcing the launch of Safety Recalls 1817L and 1917L – Driver Side
Recalls 1917L and 1817L will transition to modified (“Permanent”) remedy parts and supersede Recalls 9116A and 8315F. Corresponding NHTSA Campaign numbers are as follows:
|Application||Location||Parts||Mazda recall||NHTSA recall|
Both Recalls 9116A and 8315F which used non-modified (“Original Like for Like”) remedy Takata Driver and Passenger Air Bag inflators closed on January 10, 2018, and were be removed from eMDCS.
Owners of affected vehicles were notified of this recall by first class mail starting January 17, 2018. The affected vehicles will display OPEN in ZONE
A or PRELIMINARY STATUS in ZONE B and ZONE C in eMDCS for both recalls 1917L and 1817L on Monday January 22nd, 2018. It is expected to open to all vehicles by the end of February. Until then, contact your District Manager or the Dealer Assistance Group (DAG) for any customer requesting an emergency repair for a vehicle that is displaying preliminary status in eMDCS. Mazda has allocated limited stock for emergency customer requests – do not turn customers away that are requesting repairs.
Warranty claims for Recalls 9116A and/or 8315F with a repair date after January 10, 2018 will be rejected.
Recalls 1917L and 1817L will use these new Permanent Remedy Parts manufactured by TRW.
- 1FT1-57-K00 for Drivers Inflator (Recall 1917L)
- 1FT1-57-K50A for Passenger Inflator (Recall 1817L)
Beginning January 22, 2018 these parts can be ordered using the Restricted Parts Ordering Weblink on MXConnect, and selecting Recalls 1917L and 1817L from the menu. Please note; all orders will be VIN specific and only VINs in an “OPEN” status will be accepted. The Weblink order will send both Driver and Passenger Inflators. You will need to contact the DAG for all other orders.
To help you effectively perform this recall, Mazda has developed the following resources:
- Parts and warranty information, repair procedures and owner letter are available on MGSS (Mazda Global Service Support) websites via MXConnect.
- Parts and warranty information is available on eMDCS.
- For technical assistance, contact the Technical Assistance Hotline at (888) 832-8477, Option 3.
- For warranty questions, contact the Warranty Hotline at (877) 727-6626, Option 3.
- For parts questions, contact the Corporate Dealer Assistance Group at (877) 727-6626 Option 2.
- We recommend using the Recall Customer Identification Report #JS30R192-2 available in Web Reports to encourage customers who received the recall notice to come in for the recall. Dealers may use such customer information for the sole purpose of conducting and performing this recall, and for no other purpose. Using it for marketing activities is strictly prohibited and could subject your dealership to serious fines. The information in the report is protected by state privacy and other applicable laws regarding disclosure of personal and/or confidential, restricted or blocked information. It is the dealer’s responsibility to protect the confidentiality of customer records and prevent the release of information to other parties.
Please make certain the appropriate personnel in your dealership are aware of these resources and are familiar with the details of this recall before responding to customer inquiries.
We apologize for any inconvenience this recall may cause you and your customers. Your understanding and support in carrying out this campaign is greatly appreciated.
Because Driving Matters, Safety Matters. Your safety is important to Mazda.
Mazda Technical Services
January 19, 2018
February 22, 2018
February 15, 2018
February 15, 2018
February 14, 2018
December 20, 2017