CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON WITH DTC P0300-P0304
|Bulletin No: 01-014/16|
|Last Issued: 07/29/2016|
This bulletin supersedes the previously issued bulletin(s) listed below. The changes are noted below in Red beside the change bars.
|Previously Issued TSBs:||Date(s) Issued|
2013-2016 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE******802960 (produced before April 7, 2016)
2014-2016 Mazda3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1BM******346088 (produced before April 7, 2016)
2014-2016 Mazda6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1GJ******480633 (produced before April 7, 2016)
Some vehicles may experience a lack of engine power/rough idling and the check engine light on with one or more of the misfire related DTCs of P0300:00, P0301:00, P0302:00, P0303:00 and P0304:00. This concern may be caused by an internal failure of the ignition coil(s) due to a high difference between cold and warm ambient temperatures. The production method of the ignition coil has been changed to eliminate this concern.
NOTE: The ignition coils are supplied from two different vendors, YUMEBISHI and MITSUBISHI. This concern only occurs on YUMEBISHI- produced ignition coil.
To distinguish between YUMEBISHI and MITSUBISHI ignition coils, look at their lot numbers (A). YUMEBISHI have 4 digit lot numbers and MITSUBISHI have 5 digit lot numbers as shown.
|YUMEBISHI-produced (NO GOOD)||MITSUBISHI-produced (GOOD)|
|6||Year (4=2014, 5=2015, 6=2016)|
|3||Month (1=Jan, 2=Feb, 3=Mar…X=Oct, Y=Nov)|
|B||MITSUBISHI-produced only (A=Daytime, B=Nighttime)|
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
- Verify the customer concern and the misfire related DTC(s) exists using the M-MDS.
- Switch the two ignition coils of the cylinder with a misfire (identified by the misfire DTC) and a cylinder without misfire.
- If the misfire transfers to the other cylinder, the ignition coil is defective. Go to next step.
- If the misfire does not transfer, a different cause such as malfunction of the wiring harness, spark plug etc. is possible. In this case, this TSB is not applicable. Perform further diagnosis according to the workshop manual.
- Replace the defective ignition coil(s) with modified one(s) according to the workshop manual (section 01-18). CX-5: IGNITION COIL/ION SENSOR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [SKYACTIV-G 2.0, SKYACTIV-G 2.5]. Mazda3: IGNITION COIL/ION SENSOR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [SKYACTIV-G 2.0, SKYACTIV-G 2.5]. Mazda6: IGNITION COIL/ION SENSOR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [SKYACTIV-G 2.5].
- Check if any of the other non-defective coils are YUMEBISHI-produced and made before lot number 6328 (March 28, 2016 production). If any were made before this date, replace them with modified one(s) as well.
- Verify the repair
|Ignition Coil||1, 2, 3, or 4||PE20-18-100A|
NOTE: There is no part number change. Differentiate the new modified ignition coil (YUMEBISHI-produced) from the old one by the lot number on the ignition coil. Ignition coils with the lot number of 6328 (March 28, 2016 production) or higher are modified.
- This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair.
- This repair will be covered under Mazda’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty and California Emission Warranty (short term) or PZEV, where applicable.
- Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.
|Part Number Main Cause||PE20-18-100A (Ignition Coil)|
|Quantity||1, 2, 3, or 4|
|Operation Number / Labor Hours:||XXM3WBRX / 0.3 Hrs.|