January 9, 2018
An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V018
Manufacturer Mazda North American Operations
Components AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected 70,227
Mazda North American Operations (Mazda) is recalling certain 2013 Mazda6 and CX-9 vehicles sold, or ever registered in the states of Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands or “Zone A.”
Additionally, unless covered in “Zone A,” Mazda is recalling certain 2010 Mazda6, CX-7 and CX-9 vehicles sold, or ever registered in the states of Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia or “Zone B.”
Additionally, unless covered in Zone A or Zone B, Mazda is recalling certain 2009 Mazda6, CX-7, and CX-9 vehicles ever registered in the states of Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming or “Zone C.”
These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger frontal air bag, these inflators may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.
Mazda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front passenger air bag inflator with an alternate inflator, free of charge. The recall began March 2, 2018. Owners may contact Mazda customer service at 1-800-222-5500. Mazda’s number for this recall is 1317F.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
January 10, 2018
Attention: Mazda Service and Parts Managers
Subject: Announcement of Expanded Model Years for Takata Air Bag Safety Recalls
- Safety Recall 1317F – Takata Frontal Passenger Air Bag Inflator
- Safety Recall 2018A – Takata Frontal Passenger Air Bag Inflator
- Safety Recall 2118A – Takata Frontal Passenger Air Bag Inflator
All three recalls, will display as “Not Launched” in eMDCS by January 12th, 2018.
Each recall will launch by the end of February 2018 and customers will be notified at that time.
Specific Information on launch, parts availability, and zone mapping are listed below.
Recall 1317F: Expansion to DIR Group 3 – 70,227 affected vehicles include:
- 2013 MY Mazda6 and CX-9 registered in Zone A
- 2010 MY Mazda6, CX-7 and CX-9 registered in Zone B
- 2009 MY Mazda6, CX-7 and CX-9 registered in Zone C
Please perform Emergency Repair requests as parts are available.
Just as a reminder, Recall 1317F uses the following replacement part numbers.
NOTE: VIN’s not displayed in Recall 1317F are contained in a different DIR group. Either they are a later model year, or the vehicle was previously repaired under Interim Recall 9516E.
Recall 2018A: Passenger Frontal Air Bag Inflator Final Repair – All vehicles in this recall have the same repair as Recall 9416E and Recall 0617A. The 607 affected vehicles include:
Please perform Emergency Repair requests as parts are available.
Recall 2118A: Passenger Frontal Air Bag Inflator Final Repair – All vehicles in this recall have the same repair as Recall 9616F and Recall 0817A. The 84 affected vehicles include:
Parts are not available, but if you have an Emergency Repair request please contact your DSM for a Like for Like module and place the owner into a MCVP or Rental vehicle if needed.
Takata recalls are released in carefully planned stages based on the age of the vehicle and where the vehicle is located. Priority is given to the oldest vehicles and areas with high heat and humidity indexes. This has been carefully studied and outlined by NHTSA to balance the overall safety of all the customers with the parts availability of the repair.
All recalled vehicles will show a status of Not Launched, Preliminary Notification, or Open. Please explain the information above to the customer and refer them to www.MazdaRecallInfo.com
If there are any additional questions, contact CEC for their guidance as needed.
We apologize for any inconvenience this recall may cause you and your customers. Your understanding and support in carrying out this campaign is greatly appreciated.
Because Driving Matters, Safety Matters. Your safety is important to Mazda.
Mazda Technical Services
8 Affected Products
19 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – January 10, 2018 – Announcement of Expanded Model Years for Takata Air Bag Safety Recalls
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- March 2, 2018 – Launch of Safety Recall 1317F – Takata Frontal Passenger Side Air Bag – Inflator Permanent Remedy
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Miscellaneous Document – PARTS AND WARRANTY INFORMATION Recall Campaign 1317F
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- Subject: *** Updated *** Takata Recall Parts Availability Reminder
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- April 11, 2018 – Subject: *** Updated *** Takata Recall Parts Availability Reminder
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- February 14, 2018 – Takata Interim Recall Repairs
Recall Quarterly Report – Report #2, 2018-2
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- May 9, 2018 – Subject: *** Updated *** Takata Recall Parts Availability Reminder
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- June 13, 2018 Attention: Mazda General Managers, Parts and Service Managers Subject: *** Updated *** Takata Recall Parts Availability Reminder
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- August 17, 2018 – Dealer Email
ISSUED Renotification Notice
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2018-1
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- Insurance Email and Letters to CALIFORNIA Mazda owners
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2018-3
1 Associated Investigation
Air Bag Inflator Rupture
NHTSA ID: EA15001
Dated opened: February 24, 2015
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened PE14-016 in June 2014 based on six inflator rupture incidents involving consumer owned vehicles produced by five vehicle manufacturers. All six vehicles were operated in Florida or Puerto Rico at the time of the rupture and for the majority of their service life, and were equipped with inflators produced by Takata, a tier-one supplier of automotive air bag systems.
During the course of PE14-016, ODI determined that five additional vehicle manufacturers used inflators of a similar design and vintage also supplied by Takata. No evidence of field failures was found in vehicles produced by these five additional manufacturers. Nonetheless, at ODI’s insistence, all 10 vehicle manufacturers initiated a regional recall within approximately two weeks of the opening of the investigation. The regions recalled initially included Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, areas with high absolute humidity and climatic conditions believed to be a significant factor in the inflator ruptures. As part of the recall actions, inflators removed from remedied vehicles are to be returned to Takata for testing.
Takata’s initial test results on passenger inflators from remedied vehicles indicated a much higher than anticipated rupture frequency for inflators returned from Florida. Accordingly ODI requested all 10 manufacturers expand the regional recalls for passenger inflators to include other geographic areas where high absolute humidity conditions exist, including the Gulf States and other coastal areas. Takata’s testing of the passenger inflators to date continues to indicate this geographic area as having the highest risk, with no ruptures occurring from inflators returned from outside the expanded recall regions. During PE14-016 four additional passenger inflator field events occurred, all in vehicles from the same expanded geographic region.
Also during PE14-016 four additional driver inflator field events occurred including two in vehicles from regions not known for high absolute humidity, specifically California and North Carolina. Accordingly, ODI requested all five of the affected vehicle manufacturers currently using the subject Takata driver inflators expand to nationwide recalls. Significantly, neither of the affected vehicle manufacturers or Takata provided any explanation to account for these two driver air bag inflator ruptures outside the area of high absolute humidity. Takata testing of returned driver inflators indicates a lower rupture frequency as compared to passenger inflator testing. All test ruptures reported by Takata to date have occurred on inflators returned from high absolute humidity areas.
The investigation now includes all manufacturers and vehicles known to be affected at this time. ODI’s investigation will focus on, among other things, root cause analysis, other potential defect consequences, identification of affected vehicles scope, and adequacy of the remedy.
The five ODI reports cited above can be reviewed online at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID under the following identification numbers: 10537899, 10568848, 10585224, 10605877, 10651492
- It’s Not Just for Car Seats & Interiors: This kit works on all things leather, seats, interiors, jackets, shoes, sneakers, boots, sofas and more; Everyone has something leather in their home.
- Treat Your Leather Like Your Hair & Skin: We all wash our skin and hair on a regular basis, and use conditioners and lotions to keep out skin hydrated and fresh.
- PH Balanced: Leather Cleaner is pH balanced for the most efficient cleaning and preserves the leather's strength, durability and appearance; Penetrates the pores of leather to lift and suspend dirt and oils
- Fast, Easy & Fun: No one "loves to clean", but if you are using products that make it fast and easy, it's certainly more fun both products are extremely easy to use, and leave no residue like soaps, nor will they contribute to fiber deterioration
- Keep Your Leather Looking & Smelling New: Leather cleaner is colorless and odorless and penetrates the pores of your leather to lift and remove dirt and oils, while leather conditioner, which has a subtle leather scent, contains Vitamin E to nourish your leather and help reduce UV damage
- Easily clean and condition leather to renew its appearance and prolong suppleness with this 2-step Lexol Leather Regimen Kit
- Kit contains: (1) 8 oz. bottle of All Leather Deep Cleaner, (1) 8 oz. bottle of All Leather Deep Conditioner, and 2 Premium Applicator Sponges
- Cleaner restores and revives leather by lifting dirt and oils, allowing them to be easily wiped away
- Conditioner contains fine oil droplets that nourish, restore flexibility, and protect leather against cracking without leaving greasy residue
- Easy-to-use cap dispenses, Ideal for use on: leather auto upholstery, footwear, furniture, handbags & briefcases, sports equipment and luggage
- Leather Cleaner Trigger Cleans, Moisturizes, And Conditions Finished Leather
- ☑️ Safe for many surfaces - Will also work on durablend, vinyl, compound, saffiano, faux and other leather or leather-like surfaces.
- ☑️ Easy to use - simply spray on and wipe off to eliminate almost any surface stain and give new life to your leather.
- ☑️ Effective and Safe - Works to remove dirt, debris, stains, and grime without using harsh chemicals.
- ☑️ Premium Formula - Developed by leather experts to deliver top quality results.
- ☑️ Extend the Life of Your Leather - Routine cleaning and conditioning can help quality leather goods to last a lifetime
- All-in-one leather treatment cleans, conditions and protects for complete leather care in one easy step
- Gentle leather cleaners safely and effectively remove dirt and grime
- UV protection helps prevent premature aging, drying, cracking and fading
- Premium leather conditioners and aloe provide nourishment for soft, supple leather
- Non-greasy formula cleans and protects without leaving a white residue
- OUR LEATHER CONDITIONER WAS INVENTED OVER 50 YEARS AGO WITH MILLIONS OF HAPPY CUSTOMERS. Same time-tested formula used today!
- ONE TREATMENT LASTS SIX MONTHS OR LONGER. Deeply penetrates into the leather's pores to protect new leather and rejuvenate old leather. Softens, moisturizes and promotes flexibility leaving your leather feeling and looking beautiful! A little goes a long way; no need to reapply monthly as with other products.
- THIS LEATHER CONDITIONER PROLONGS THE LIFE OF ALL TYPES OF LEATHER, including leather furniture and upholstery, automobile and motorcycle seats, boots, gloves, purses, jackets, saddles and tack. Non-toxic, non-solvent, not sticky, no odor and does not contain silicone. Water, snow and rain repellent formula. Not for use on suede or faux leather/vinyl.
- UNLIMITED 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If you're not satisfied, return the product at any time for a full refund.
- A LEATHER CONDITIONER THAT IS MADE IN THE USA by a small family business owned by the grandchildren of the original inventor. Use with Leather Honey Leather Cleaner, also available on Amazon!
- Convenient, disposable wipes protect your car's rich look
- Leather Wipes clean, condition and protect leather
- Leather Wipes renew and revive leather's natural beauty
- Cleaning Wipes easily remove ground-in dirt, dust and grime
- Cleaning Wipes are lint free, won't leave greasy residue on hands
- MADE IN THE USA by a small family business that specializes in the best leather cleaner and conditioner on the market. Millions of happy customers.
- CONCENTRATED FORMULA means great value — each four-ounce bottle makes up to 32 ounces of leather cleaner when diluted with water.
- QUICKLY AND GENTLY CLEANS all types of leather and vinyl, removing dirt, oil, tough stains and grime. Non-toxic leather cleaner is perfect for every leather product, including saddles and tack, automotive interiors, furniture, handbags, shoes and jackets. Not for use on suede.
- UNLIMITED 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If you're not happy with any of our products, simply return them for a full refund of your purchase price!
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED to work with Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the #1 best-selling leather care product on Amazon.
- Easily wipe away contaminants without harming leather
- pH-balanced to leather for the most efficient cleaning
- Preserves the leather's strength, durability and appearance
- Leaves no residue like soaps and will not contribute to fiber deterioration
- Water-based surfactants and non-alkaline cleaning agents penetrate deep into every pore to gently lift out dirt, grease and oils
- Specially formulated - clean, condition, & protect leather while restoring it to its original texture & sheen
- Moisturizers - instantly revitalize & restore leather, helping to prevent drying out
- Use On - your favorite accessories such as leather purses, shoes, boots, briefcases and handbags
- Does Not - darken leather
- Recommended use on - Finished leather surfaces including car interior shoes boots briefcases handbags & coats - Do not use on suede, nubuck, Natuzzi Brand or any unfinished leather
Last update on 2020-05-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-05-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API