February 18, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V086000
If the power liftgate unexpectedly lowers while a person is accessing the rear storage area of the vehicle, it can increase their risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V086
Manufacturer Mazda North American Operations
Potential Number of Units Affected 13,857
Mazda North American Operations (Mazda) is recalling certain 2020-2021 CX-30 vehicles. When fully opened, the power liftgate may partially lower unexpectedly when the vehicle is parked facing uphill on a slope.
Mazda will notify owners, and dealers will update the power liftgate control module software and inspect the serial number of the power liftgate drive unit, replacing it if necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin April 19, 2021. Owners may contact Mazda customer service at 1-800-222-5500 option 4. Mazda’s number for this recall is 4621B.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Recall Campaign 4621B
Safety Recall 4621B – 2020-2021 CX-30 Power Liftgate May Partially Lower Unexpectedly
A. VEHICLE INSPECTION PROCEDURE
Verify that the vehicle is within the following ranges:
CAUTION: THIS PROCEDURE IS INTERIM AS THERE IS NO PROCEDURE TO REPLACE THE RAM ASSEMBLIES.
|Models||Subject VIN range||Subject production date range|
|3MVDM**** LM 100116 – 140310
3MVDM**** MM 200017 – 232944
|From October 1, 2019 through November 24, 2020|
The asterisk symbol “*” can be any letter or number.
- If the vehicle is within the above ranges, proceed to Inspection and Repair Procedure
- If the vehicle is not within the above ranges, return vehicle to the customer or inventory.
Perform a Warranty Vehicle Inquiry using your eMDCS System and inspect vehicle for Campaign Label Recall 4621B attached to the vehicle’s hood or bulkhead. Refer to eMDCS System – Warranty Vehicle Inquiry Results table below.
NOTE: Be sure to verify Recall number as the vehicle may have multiple Recall labels.
eMDCS System – Warranty Vehicle Inquiry Results:
|If eMDCS displays:||Campaign Label is:||Action to perform:|
|RECALL 4621B OPEN||Present||Email Dealer Recall Help or Contact Warranty Hotline at (877) 727-6626 option 3 to update vehicle history.|
|Not present||Proceed to “2. REPAIR PROCEDURE”.|
|RECALL 4621B CLOSED||Present||Return vehicle to inventory or customer.|
|Not present||Proceed to “3. CAMPAIGN LABEL INSTALLATION”.|
|RECALL 4621B IS NOT PRESENT||Does not apply||Recall does not apply to this vehicle. Return vehicle to inventory or customer
VERIFY THE CONTENTS OF THE MDRT TOOL KIT
CAUTION: The tool must be stored in your Mazda Tool Shed – any misplacement or failure to return the tool will result in a $1,000 charge to the dealer. If your tool does not work, please fill out the Dealer Recall Help Form on MXConnect with the reason of tool failure AND the TOOL BARCODE # (see below).
Section B: Repair Procedure
Outline of Repair Procedure
A. Verify the LOT No. of the PLG drive units
B. Replace the affected PLG drive unit
1. Open the Liftgate and write down the 8 Digit Lot Number
2. There is a number (9 or 0 indicates year) followed by a letter (Indicates month) and 6 numbers. Input all 8 digits into the Lot Number calculator or an error will occur. Note: If there is no number before the letter, input 9 (2019 production). Example : G050032 →9G050032
3. If the result is Not Affected replacement is not required. Reprogram power liftgate module with supplied SSPC5/4621B MDRT. This will be 96% of the vehicles.
4. IF THE RESULT IS “AFFECTED”, STOP AND PARK THE VEHICLE NO FURTHER REPAIRS CAN BE DONE UNTIL PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. CAR CANNOT BE SOLD UNTIL REPAIRED.
Remember to use the 4621B Lift Gate Lot Inspection Calculator
This is a different Calculator than the “Repair Calculator.”
Proceed to MDRT Programming
Service Caution for Reprogramming
Do NOT touch the MDRT while Green or Blue light is blinking with frequent beep sound.
- During reprogramming operation, center display and instrument cluster may blink. This is NOT abnormal.
- DTC P2610 may be stored after reprogramming. Turn the engine-on and stay 5 seconds on idle. After then turn IG-OFF. Turn IG-ON and re-connect the MDRT.
MDRT will erase the DTC automatically.
NOTE: Poor connection between the vehicle and MDRT and/or low voltage may result in abnormal termination and/or data corruption.
A. During reprogramming, connect the DCA8000 battery charger using the Reflash mode
Before reprogramming, pay attention to the vehicle condition and PC environment.
b. Perform self-test and verify no DTC is stored. If any DTC is stored, fix the concern and delete the DTC.
c. Disconnect all non-genuine aftermarket accessories.
PLG Power Lift Gate Programming
A. Reprogram the PLG (Power Lift Gate) Module
NOTE: If you suspect your MDRT Tool is bad or need an additional Tool, please contact Dealer Recall Help on MXConnect > Warranty with at least 1 VIN AND the Tool Barcode Number.
- Thoroughly read the service cautions on the prior pages to avoid module damage!
MDRT TOOL – TOOL WILL HAVE A XXXXXX STICKER
1. Switch the ignition to off.
2. Connect MDRT to the OBDII connector.
Note: Wait until the green/blue and the red LED turn on with “Ready” and “IG OFF” on the display, go to next step.
3. Switch the ignition to on (Engine Off position)
4. Monitor the MDRT display.
- The reprogramming needs approximately 30 minutes to complete. (Pulsing beeps will sound during the reprogramming）
- When the reprogramming has successfully done, the display shows “Repro OK” and bottom row will illuminate intermittently, and the green or blue LED will be blinking.
LED lights show the configuration status.
*There are two LED types for MDRT.
1. Green & Red (Serial number up to 02217)
2. Blue & Red (Serial number after 02218)
Take care when handling the MDRT tool to avoid damage
- Avoid exposing it to high heat.
- Avoid exposing it to water.
To avoid module damage during reprogramming.
- Do not connect MDRT tool with the ignition on – Do not disconnect MDRT from OBDII connector.
- Do not start engine.
- Do not turn IG-Off.
Otherwise a module replacement may be required.
When performing reprogramming with an MDRT:
- Verify that the room fuse is installed.
- Turn off all electric-type loads such as air-conditioning or the audio system and then connect battery charger.
- Do NOT touch the MDRT while Green or Blue light is blinking or when you hear a “beep” sound.
- During the reprogramming operation, the center display and instrument cluster may blink, which is NORMAL.
#5. Turn the ignition off.
#6. Disconnect the MDRT.
Refer to troubleshooting chart if display reads other than REPRO_OK or SECUL_NG.
- Do not disconnect until the ignition is off under any circumstance.
- Do not turn off ignition until programming is complete.
- Do not start vehicle during programming.
How to verify the reprograming results by display
Confirm that the display shows a message after completing reprogramming.
The number is related to the step number in the reprogramming procedure.
Text in bold mean the most possible cause.
|No.||Technician’s operation||Vehicle status||MDRT status||LED status||Beep sound||Display|
|3-1||IG-ON||IG-ON||MDRT malfunction.||G or B||Off||Continuously beeping||Data Fail|
|3-2||IG-ON with MDRT not securely connected||IG-ON||No power supplied.||G or B||Off||No beep|
|4-1||IG-ON||Not a subject vehicle||MDRT can’t identify vehicle. MDRT performs only deleting DTC.||G or B||Off||Continuously beeping||VIN_NG|
|R||Blinking at intervals of
|4-2||IG-ON||IG-ON Batt. Voltage: 11 V or lower SOC: 75 % or lower||Check battery voltage. Stop reprograming.||G or B||Off||Continuously beeping||Repro
|R||Blinking at intervals of
|4-3||Poor MDRT connection during reprograming||IG-ON||No power supplied.||G or B||Off||No beep|
|4-4||Monitoring||IG-ON||Finish||G or B||Illuminate||Pulsing beeps||Rep Succ|
|MDRT||reprograming DTCs have been detected||R||Blinking at intervals of
|4-5||IG-ON||IG-ON Reprograming failed||Verify reprograming result.||G or B||Off||Continuously beeping||Repro NG|
In case of “No. 4-1”, verify the vehicle is subject to the SSPC5.
In case of “No. 3-1”, it may be caused by one of the following concerns: (see below)
- Data in the Module is broken. The possible causes are as follows.
- MDRT has been connected to the OBDII connector with the IGN already turned on.
- MDRT has been disconnected from OBDII connector during reprograming.
- Engine has been started or IG is turned off during reprograming.
- MDRT malfunctions.
- Verify the current file name in the vehicle by log view screen.
Check procedures after reprogramming
Check for DTC and confirm there is no stored DTC.
- DTC P2610:00 may be stored. If so, please start the engine and clear the DTC. NOTE: DTC U2120:00, U2030:51 or/and U2500:82 (Related DTCs of Forward sensing camera) may be stored and i-ACTIVSENSE warning light (amber) may turn on after driving. These
DTCs may not be stored just after reprograming. It may be stored after driving. To avoid stored DTC, you need to put the FSC into sleep mode.
C. CAMPAIGN LABEL INSTALLATION:
1. Fill out a blue “Campaign Label” (9999-95-065A-06) with Campaign No: “4621B”, your dealer code, today’s date.
2. Affix it to the hood or bulkhead as shown:
3. Return the vehicle to customer.
Chronology of Defect
Power liftgate may partially lower on MY 2020 through MY2021 CX-30
December 10, 2019: As a result of the incident investigation, it was found that the incident occurred when the concerned vehicle was parked on a steep uphill grade where the slope angle was beyond the limit of vehicle specification. Mazda judged this was a rare case and decided to monitor the occurrence of similar incidents in the field.
July through August, 2020: Mazda received several field reports from outside of the US market, reporting “Power liftgate does not stay fully opened.” Mazda collected the involved power liftgate drive unit parts from the field and began an investigation into the root cause.
September, 2020: Mazda and the part supplier identified the root cause of this issue. It was found that the minimum retaining force specification of the power liftgate drive unit during liftgate operation was too low. Also, when vehicles are parked on steep uphill inclines and the power liftgate is operated in high ambient temperature, the support spring elasticity in the power liftgate drive unit may be reduced. These combined factors may cause the power liftgate drive unit retaining force to degrade and reduce the ability to keep the liftgate fully opened.
September through November, 2020: Mazda decided to implement two countermeasures for mass production to improve the power liftgate performance. One was to implement a closed circuit in the power liftgate control module to apply increased power liftgate drive motor unitretaining force for supporting the opened liftgate. The other is to change the minimum limit of the specification for retaining force of the power liftgate drive unit.
November 25, 2020: Mazda implemented the above countermeasures on CX-30 for the U.S market.
December, 2020 through January, 2021: Mazda considered proper solutions to eliminate this failure in the field and developed repair methods. Also, Mazda determined the subject coverage of the affected vehicles with this failure in the field. Mazda had not received field reports of this defect from the U.S. market up to this time.
February 15, 2021: Mazda held a Quality Audit Committee meeting to review all available information to date, and out of an abundance of caution, determined to conduct a proactive field action on certain MY2020 and MY2021 CX-30 vehicles in the U.S. No accidents or deaths have been reported as a result of this defect.
2 Affected Products
4 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- Replacement Rear Liftgate Door Lock Actuator - Located inside the rear liftgate door, the power door lock actuator controls the locks on your vehicle. If the tail hatch door lift on your vehicle will not lock or unlock a bad actuator is likely the problem. This actuator fits the rear lift gate door of your select vehicle including year models 2008-2012.
- Compatible Replacement for Ford, Mercury & Mazda Vehicles - Escape models 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 | Tribute models 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 | Mariner models 2009, 2010, 2011 | Please make sure that the part being replaced is identical to your factory part.
- Replaces Part# 9L8Z-7843150-B, 937-663, 9L8Z843150B, 937663 - The rear lift gate actuator motor is a part that operates everytime you lock or unlock the vehicle and this is done very frequently. Due to this, the failure of the part is very common.
- OEM Fit, Quality, Finish - While this is NOT a genuine OEM part, it is a direct replacement for your factory door lock actuator. It will appear, fit and work like the part from dealer so you save hundreds of dollars with the same result and function.
- Lifetime Warranty - The Rear Liftgate Door Lock Actuator comes complete with a lifetime warranty. If the part ever fails on your Escape, Tribute or Mariner simply contact us for a replacement. Save time and money and take advantage of our lifetime warranty.
- Pls check our production description to make sure our lift support fit your vehicle
- Replacement Lift Supports For:Trunk Caps, Camper,Marine,Toolbox & Universal Applications
- Extended Length:25.43[Inch] Travel Length:9.49[Inch] Pounds Of Force:134[LBS]
- NOTICE - We provide THREE YEAR WARRANTY for all our lift supports. Please contact us if you have any question.Designed For Original Equipment Fit And Performance,replaced with these in just a couple of minutes,your vehicle fully opens by itself like it used to do when new
- Gently reduces the opening and closing speed as the lift support reaches the end of the cycle, reducing wear on joints and hinges. Manufactured to automotive O.E. performance and quality specifications. Restores the original opening and closing speeds of your hood, hatch or trunk. No special tools required. Exact replacement, engineered for your application. Rust-resistant piston rod extends product life. Easy lifting, reduced closing effort. Consistent lifting force through 30,000 cycles.
- ▲ 100% Tested Before On Sale.
- ▲Easy Installation. It could correctly replace the original parts.
- ▲Fitment Info In The Product description. Please confirm the model, displacement and year of your car before purchasing to avoid the extra losses.
- ▲Fulfilled by Amazon, Fast Shipment.
- ▲If you have any questions, please contact us and we will give you satisfactory solutions in time. If you are satisfied with our products and services, please don't be stingy with your comments. Thank you!
- Fit: Toyota Sienna 2004 - 2010 With Power Liftgate
- Extended Length [in] 25.06
- Compressed Length [in] 16.31
- LifeTime Limited Warranty On All Our Lift Supports
- BOXI Auto Parts is THE MANUFACTURER and THE ONLY RESELLER of BOXI Lift Support ON Amazon. *** IMPORTANT*** TO VERIFY FITMENT. Please See Product Description.
- Product name:Back Door Luggage Lock Push Switch
- Dimension:Length: 3cm Width: 1.7cm
- Button diameter:1.1cm
- FITS:2010 To 2016 Chevy Equinox w/ Power Gate RIGHT SIDE ONLY
- Extended Length: 23.03 in--Compressed Length: 15.16 in
- In Original Tuff Support Packaging With Lifetime Limited Warranty*
- Instructions Available When Needed for Easy and Safe Installation
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Long life-span matters, that is why our tailgate latch lock actuator is crafted from rust proofing steel housing to provide maximum durability
- OEM DESIGN: This rear latch is manufactured to the OE specification to provide factory-fresh appearance and direct-fit, that enables proper door locking function. OE connector helps ensure a solid, positive connection
- FITMENTS: Replacement for 2009-2012 Ford Escape, 2009 2010 2011 Mercury Mariner, 08 09 10 11 Mazda Tribute. Engineered with dependable electronic motor and latch mechanism to ensure more efficient and sleek operation
- REPLACE OE NUMBER: 9L8Z-7843150-B, 9L8Z7843150B, 937-663. The rear hatch latch has went through vehicle try-on testing, means you will get a fairly reliable back door lock to perform excellently under all operating conditions
- 24-MONTH WARRANTY: If for any reason at all, you are not fully satisfied with the rear hatch actuator, you can rely on our service of free REPLACEMENT or REFUND
- YHTAUTO Lift Support Meets OEM Specifications, Direct Replacement to Original Parts
- Replacement for Toyota Sienna Mini Cargo Van/Mini Passenger Van 2004-2010---With Power Liftgate
- Placement on Vehicle: Tailgate Trunk Lid / Rear Left and Right
- Reference Number: 4590, SG229013, C4590, C95466, 610658, 68905AE011
- ADVISE: Please Ensure That Your Vehicle Fits Our Compatibility Chart Before Purchasing. Do Not Hesitate to Contact Us if You Have Any Doubts or Queries.
Last update on 2021-05-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-05-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API