November 12, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V875000
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V875
Manufacturer Mazda North American Operations
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 121,038
Mazda North American Operations (Mazda) is recalling certain 2018 Mazda3, Mazda6, 2019 CX-3, 2018-2019 MX-5, CX-5, CX-9, and 2019-2020 Mazda2 vehicles. The impeller inside the low-pressure fuel pump may crack and deform, potentially causing the fuel pump to fail.
Dealers will replace the fuel pumps, free of charge. Owner notification letters were mailed July 18, 2022. Owners may contact Mazda customer service at 1-800-222-5500 Option 4. Mazda’s number for this recall is 5321K.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
Safety Recall 5321 K- Multi-Model Fuel Pump May Fail -All Models
Click below for the links to the standard procedure.
We encourage you to order Mazda part# 9983-30-408 which is on backorder. Until supply is readily available, locally sourced screws are allowed following the specific guidelines below. One source for the screws that is nationally available in the USA is McMaster-Carr SKU 94387 A240 https://www.mcmaster.com/94387A240/ however, substitutes meeting specifications below are acceptable for use.
Fuel pump disassembly/ assembly procedure
This repair procedure has combined both Type A and Type B fuel pumps which has the same removal / installation procedure. It is also the same in the supplemental VIDEO’s below which must be reviewed prior to repair.
Please watch both videos prior to repairing:
CAUTION: The disassembly surface must be clean and flat as in the videos. Do not dissemble on a non-flat surface. Be very careful with handling the FDM unit as the fittings or hoses can break OR crack during removal or reassembly of the FDM unit. Damage caused by technician error is not reimbursable under the campaign or warranty.
Please watch the video prior to repairing:
Chronology of Defect
March 26, 2019: Mazda received the first field information from outside the U.S, which reported the engine could not start due to an inoperative fuel pump. Mazda planned to collect the fuel pump from the subject vehicle and investigate it.
April 2019 through August 2019: As a result of parts investigation, it was confirmed that the fuel pump did not function because the deformed impeller in the fuel pump interfered with the fuel pump body. As part of the analysis, additional observations of cracking on the impeller surface were made. To understand the relationship between surface cracks and impeller deformation, Mazda began an investigation to attempt to determine which factors potentially contribute to cracking.
September 2019 through February 2020:As part of the investigation, Mazda hypothesized that testing solvent used during the manufacturing process and low density impellers may be factors causing impeller cracking and began duplication testing. During the test, the surface of the impeller cracked as the solvent dried over time. It was confirmed that fuel pumps produced with impellers of lower density exposed to production drying solvent for longer periods of time could experience the impeller cracking at a level that could lead to excessive fuel absorption, and could cause impeller deformation.
May, 2020: Mazda received no field information regarding this defect from the U.S or U.S territories. As a result of examination about the details of field information received from outside the U.S, Mazda found that there was a difference in occurrence rate among each region and hypothesized the high ambient temperature condition of usage environment may contribute to the occurrence of this defect.
July 10, 2020: Mazda decided to conduct a recall campaign on certain vehicles in China, South-eastern Asia, Central America, and the Middle East, where ambient temperature are relatively high. Since this defect did not seem to occur as often in other countries, Mazda determined to monitor future occurrence in other countries including the U.S and U.S territories. Concurrently, Mazda submitted a foreign recall report regarding this issue to NHTSA. In the report, Mazda explained that due to differences in U.S. logistic conditions, typical customer usage and other factors, this defect was not likely to occur in U.S. market vehicles. The U.S. market field data at that time supported this assessment. Mazda would continue to monitor the U.S. and U.S. Territories for future occurrences.
September, 2020 through January, 2021: Mazda recognized this failure was beginning to increase in some countries other than the U.S.
July 30, 2021: Mazda decided to conduct a recall campaign on a certain vehicle model in Mexico due to increasing field occurrences in that market.
August 6, 2021: Mazda submitted a foreign recall report regarding this issue to NHTSA. In the report, Mazda explained that due to differences in U.S. logistic conditions, typical customer usage and other factors, this defect was not likely to occur in U.S. market vehicles. The U.S. market field data at that time supported this assessment. Mazda would continue to monitor the U.S. and U.S. Territories for future occurrences.
August, 2021: Mazda recognized this failure was beginning to increase on a certain vehicle in Europe.
Late August, 2021 through September, 2021: This defect frequency continued to increase in Australian markets. Although this defect continues to have a low rate of occurrence in the U.S at present, Mazda began to make arrangements for remedy parts correcting this defect as a precaution in case of global field action. Mazda had received four related field reports from the U.S and U.S territories up to this date.
November 5, 2021: Mazda held a Quality Audit Committee meeting to review all available information to date, and out of an abundance of caution, determined to conduct a proactive field action on certain MY2019 and MY2020 Mazda2, MY2018 Mazda3, MY2018 Mazda6, MY2019 CX-3, MY2018 and MY2019 CX-5, MY2018 and 2019 CX-9, MY2018 and MY2019 MX-5 in the U.S and the U.S territories. No accidents, injuries or deaths have been reported as a result of this defect.
July 21, 2022: Mazda has discovered that a certain part number in the involved components section was omitted in the original defect information report for this campaign. Mazda is amending this submission to add the previously omitted part number, PE01-13350. This addition does not affect the number, model, or model years of involved vehicles subject to this campaign.
11 Affected Products
37 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Preliminary Notification to Owners as Parts Not Available Safety Emissions Recall 5321K -Multi-Model Fuel Pump May Fail: January 4, 2022RCMN-21V875-6201
ISSUED Interim Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RIONL-21V875-1035
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Notification of Safety and Emissions Recall 5321K – Multi-Model Fuel Pump May Fail: November 16, 2021RCMN-21V875-5485
ISSUED Interim Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Parts & Warranty Information Recall Campaign 5321K: January 4, 2022RMISC-21V875-5718
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V875-4233
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-21V875-1378
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V875-1829
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V875-7690
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-21V875-5698
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V875-6708
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V875-9790
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-21V875-3397
Recall 573 Report – July 21, 2022
Parts & Warranty InformationRMISC-21V875-2581
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-21V875-9928
Chronology of DefectRMISC-21V875-3036
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V875-6529
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V875-0772
Parts & Warranty Information
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-21V875-4411
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-21V875-2809
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Parts & Warranty InformationRMISC-21V875-4302
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-21V875-3934
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-21V875-3742
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-21V875-7244
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2022-3
ISSUED Renotification NoticeRCRN-21V875-4511
Latest Recalls Documents
- Universal Design: The included adapters, hoses and fittings cover all fuel injection systems and most Gas Engine Cars, Motorcycles, Trucks, SUVs, ATVs, UTVs, RVs. ( Does not compatible with Bosch, CIS Jetronic, TB System on GM vehicles. )
- Ideal For Mechanics: Fuel Injection Pump Pressure / Oil Combustion Spraying Pressure Gauge Teste.
- Durable: Designed for repeated use with high quality materials.
- Convenient and Safe Design: Fuel pressure tester with a quick release valve button could offer single-handed operation inflation and deflation.
- Measuring Range: 0-140psi (0-10 bar)
- Dual Dial For Accurate Reading, With A 140 PSI /10 Bar Scale
- Deluxe Manometer Fuel Injection Pressure Tester Gauge Kit
- Set comes in a specially designed molded case to make storage easy and organized.
- A time saving quick coupler connection at the end of he gauge hose makes a speedy and efficient couple possible with most adapters.
- The included adapters, hoses and fittings cover all fuel injection systems and most cars and trucks world wide!
- Gasoline Pump Pressure Check: Fuel pressure test kit is designed to perform complete fuel system inspection and fault diagnosis for fuel supply and injection pump pressure. Easy to install and get the pressure readout. Automotive fuel injector pressure tester has a 1/4" SAE female brass fitting at end of the hose, can be inserted directly into the fuel pump's standard Schrader or fuel pressure test port, or installed a tee fitting on to help splice an in-line connection.
- Fuel Pump Tester Gauge: Fuel gauge pressure tester features shockproof rubber protector and dual color scale calibrated from 0-10 bar and 0-140 psi for easy and accurate work on both American and metric systems. High accuracy 3-1/2" gauge easily holds pressure values and has convenient pressure reset button with 16" drain hose for safe fuel recovery. 15" built-in flexible hose adapter has 300 psi W.P, can be connected to fittings for fuel pressure test.
- Wide Range of Application: JoyFans fuel pump pressure tester kit is suitable for most gas engine cars, motorcycles, trucks, SUVs, ATVs, RVs with modern Schrader test port fuel injection systems except Bosch, CIS Jetronic, TB System on GM vehicles. Blow-molding case bases on the shapes and sizes of all tools to keep them secure and steady with a user manual included for fast reference. Easy transportation, simple storage, and quick identification.
- Enhanced Durability: Universal fuel pressure tester kit comes with a full range of precision-manufactured fittings, made of premium brass and aluminum for oil, corrosion and rust resistance, reusable and reliable. A variety of sizes for added suitability. Hoses use reinforced rubber nylon resin material, can easily withstand torsion, temperature, and pressure. 8" short hose ends with brass fittings, 2pcs cut hoses size: 1/4"I.D. x 3-1/2"L, 3/8"I.D. x 3-1/2"L.
- Considerate Service: We are always glad to offer customers satisfactory shopping experience and after-sales services. We have 30-day free return for the products in good undamaged & unused condition after you have received the parcel. Each item offers 12-month quality warranty, and it will be packed well to prevent the breakage during the transportation, please purchase and use with confidence. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
- Ford Fuel Line Adapter included
- Large, easy-to-read 0-100 psi scale
- Solid brass fittings
- Pressure relief valve for safe, clean testing
- 【Special Design】: Complete Universal Fuel Injection Pressure Tester Kit is designed to easily detect the fuel pump pressure on injector systems, and check if fuel pump is defective or inconsistent in pressure flow.【Note】Our all products have a 18-Month WARRANTY, if you received wrong tester kit or it doesn't work, please feel free to contact us and we will give you a REPLACEMENT or REFUND.
- 【Universally Compatible】: Suitable for any vehicle as long as it has a Schrader test port fuel injection system or as long as you can splice an inline connection; Ideal for petrol engines of American Motors, Boschs AFC, MPC European & Japanese (except CIS), Chryslers Corp., Fords Motor Co., GMs (except TBI), Japanese fuel injection systems and so on.
- 【Easy to use and Safety】: The pressure release valve fitting with long drain hose helps to prevent inadvertent discharge of fuel while testing and to allow for safe recovery of fuel, easy to use 【NOTE】The Gauge kit don't include a push pressure release button.
- 【Easy to storage】: The Fuel Injection Pressure Tester Set with a ABS plastic blow-molded case can keep the tools organized, safe storage and easy to transport.
- 【Package Include】The Fuel Pressure Test Kit has all necessary fittings, hoses, clamps to work on most vehicles. Gauge calibrated from 0-100psi (0-7 bar); Includes Brass fitting 1/8"-27 NPTx1/4"-18NPT, Brass 1/4" Barbed x 1/4"-18NPT, Aluminum 1/4" & 3/8 Barbed x 1/8-24NPT, 3 Rubber Hoses 1/4" x 2.5" L, 3/8" x 3.0" L.
- PARAMETER---Double Scale Gauge:0-7bar,0-100psi.Three size adapters :6.30mm(SAE 1/4)7.89mm(SAE 5/16)9.49mm(SAE 3/8).
- UNIVERSAL DESIGN ---Used on any engine you need to read fuel psi on.Helps identify and diagnose low fuel pressure, a faulty fuel pressure regulator, leaking injectors, fuel leaks, and clogged fuel filters.
- WELL MADE---High quality brass connectors and Corrosion resistant rubber hose.Will last a long time.
- NOTE---Never use this Fuel Pressure Tester Kit on Diesel engines!
- [ Dual Dials ] --- Sensitive pointer is Accurate and easy to read. Return to zero automatically with 0~140PSI (0-10bar). A tight connection between meter and hose allows for accurate testing results.
- [ Wide Usage ] --- The injector pressure test set included 50PCS adapters, hoses and fittings cover all fuel injection systems and most cars and trucks.
- [ Material ] --- Made of high-quality copper, iron, aluminum, with better sealing, higher hardness, rustproof and more durable.
- [ Ensure Safety ] --- This fuel pressure tester is equipped with quick connect system and a pressure relief valve fittings with long drain hose ensuring safe and quick use to prevent inadvertent discharge of fuel
- [ Easy to Store ] --- Set comes in a specially designed molded case for safe storage.
- OTC's Fuel Pressure Test Kit quickly and easily locates any malfunctioning fuel system component - fuel filters, pressure regulators, fuel lines, and fuel pumps - without removing it from the vehicle
- Large, easy to read gauge features an impact resistant rubber encased housing
- 0-100 psi, 0-700 kPa
- High quality solid brass fittings, hose, and tubing for long lasting performance and reliability
- Convenient pressure relief valve allows for safe, clean testing
- 【Premium Material】：The material includes copper, iron, aluminum,Connectors are made of brass and aluminum, which are of high hardness, no rust, durable and good air tightness, which is more durable than ordinary materials.
- 【High compatibility】：The injector pressure test kit has nearly 50PCS adapters for almost all vehicle series gasoline engine fuel injection systems.Includes adapters, hoses and fittings to cover all fuel injection systems and most cars and trucks in the world!Suitable for Chrysler, Ford, General Motors Jeep, Nissan, Toyota and more gasoline cars.
- 【Simple to use】：With excellent sealing performance of the tool fuel pressure tester (0-140 psi), you just need to ensure that there is an adapter in the kit that fits your test port or an inline connection is available.The gauge features a rubber cover to protect the large 3-1/2" dial and a two-color coded scale to facilitate easy monitoring of vehicle fuel pressure.Equipped with pressure relief valves and 16 "drain hose for safer pressure discharge and fuel recovery.
- 【Easy to store】：The kit uses specially designed molding box for safe storage.Includes a variety of thread sizes to accommodate different nozzle attachments.If there is any problem with the item you received, please contact us immediately for replacement.
- [Reliable Service]: If there is any problem during the purchase period, please contact us at any time, and we will provide the most professional and timely service.
- 1: Universal design with the accompanying adapter. hoses and adaptationtings cover all fuel injection systems and most cars and vehicles. Not for diesel high pressure injection pumps or direct injection engines
- 2: Mechanical ideal: fuel injection pump pressure / fuel injection pressure gauge testing, main sealing performance / accurate reading; Fuel Pressure Tester (0-140 PSI) with good sealing performance and quality materials (metal、rubber、plastic.) provides you with an accurate reading and long lasting product.
- 3: 114 Fuel Pressure Gauge Tool Kit connection; Connect the pressure gauge directly to the standard schrader / M6 / M8 / M10 / M12 / M14 fuel pressure test port of the fuel pump using special parts and hoses. Insert the "T" part in series between the pump and engine.
- 4：This fuel injection pump detector is a professional fuel injection system compression detection tool, these readings will help to diagnose the inlet / outlet side components have kink / leak / jam detection or fuel pressure regulator, tank pressure is low. Gasoline is flammable. Make sure there is no open flame nearby and it is operated by a professional.
- 100% Satisfaction: We are responsible for every product. If you have any problems with our products or services, please contact us immediately and we will provide you with exceptional responses to your every concern.
Last update on 2023-01-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.